Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Grayden's Birth Story...He is FINALLY here!!!

Grayden Lee Beecher arrived into the world Friday February 22, 2008 at 8:19 pm. He weighed 8Lbs 4oz. He was born here in Calgary at the Rocky View General Hospital and delivered by Dr.Logsetty with the help of 2 other wonderful nurses. Cody was with me the entire time and I couldn't have asked for a better partner through it all. He was amazing!

Well my OB scheduled me to be induced on Friday February 22nd and said the hospital would call sometime Friday to tell me when to come in. It was crazy to think that no matter what tomorrow sometime this baby was coming out wether he was ready or not and we were put on a schedule and new what would happen. I was excited to experience the excitement of when your water broke or suddenly go into labour but it was time, and he needed to come out. Anyway The hospital called Friday morning around 8am and we got all ready and went for the hospital.

Anyway we got to the hospital about 9am and they hooked me to an IV right away. They broke my water at 1030am hoping that would get things going but that boy was just to cozy in there. They had me walk around for a good half hour to try and get contractions going but still nothing! LoL i got back into the bed and they put me on the drip which releases a natural hormone from the brain that is supposed to start contractions. Well that worked pretty much right away and I got my first contraction at about 1230pm OH MY GOODNESS! They were so painful, uncomfortable, just everything!! It was horrible and they were all in my back. The contractions were so irregular which made the nurse think the babys head was positioned funny which was causing all the back labour and the irregular contractions. She made me get on all fours which would open the pelvic bones more and help him turn his head. It did help start regular contractions so every 2 minutes but I was still having back labour but there was nothing we could do about that. BEfore I would have a contractions for about 30 seconds and it would go away for only a 2 second rest and they would start right back up and I would have 4 of those in a row and then have a 2 minute break and then all of a sudden 3 or 4 in a row. But getting on all fours helped me to get regular contractions thank goodness.

I got to the point after about an hour of laying there I said I needed the epidural ASAP!! I had decided to have an epidural long before but I wanted to try and go as long as I could without it. Anyway the nurse said the anasthesioligist was in surgery so I would have to wait. she suggested morphine but i didnt want that because I hear it would make him all sleepy. (I almost did) but she suggested trying the shower. So We tryed the shower which helped the contractions alot. I sat there on the labour ball while cody hosed Hot water on my back! He was such a trooper and such a huge help. I coudn't have done it without him or have asked for a better partner. I seriously dont know how people can do that for hours!!! I just wanted to cry everytime i got a contraction. it was horrible! Anyway we were in the shower for almost an hour when the anasthesiologist came in. I would have had it done before but I really wanted to go as far as I could to dilate more with out anything but after two hours of back labour I was DONE and needed some drugs right away!!! I got the epidural at 230pm and I was only 3cm dilated. I wasn't nervous about getting it, because I just knew it would take my pain away so I was just excited! He was so good and it honestly didnt hurt at all!! People make it sound WAY WORSE than it really is. My IV hurt more than the epidural for crying out loud!
I was so worried I was gonna have a contraction while he was doing it but I got one right when he was finished. I had about three contractions before I felt nothing! each one was less painful and then nothing! :) boy was I one happy girl!!! the epidural was amazing. I could tell when I was getting a contraction but they were painless It just felt like a bit of pressure on my tail bone, but only because his head was pushing on it everytime i had a contraction.

Anyway it was such a breeze after that, basicly we just sat there and chatted waiting to get to 10 cm. She checked me every two hours and by 6pm I was at 7cm. We waited some more and she checked me again at 730 and I was already completely dilated to 10cm and the baby was RIGHT THERE. He had already pushed himself out past the cervix and I was READY TO PUSH! The doctor wasn't there yet but the nurses who were assisting the birth got me all ready and asked me to try pushing, I gave one big push and they told me to stop because they could already see the head! LoL I had to wait for the doctor. So the doctor came about 15 mins later and we started pushing again. It was nice because I let the epidural wear off just a tad so i could feel the contractions so i could tell when to push. I only pushed for 20 minutes and he was out. maybe not even that! I WAS LUCKY...I was scared because his heart rate was dropping a little so they told me to push as hard as I can so I REALLY GAVE IT MY ALL. His head was right there but I just couldn't do it on my own so they had to give me an apeasiotomy and they also used a vacume. I pushed so hard I woke up the next morning with tiny purple dots all over my face! LoL i had busted a bunch of blood vessels in my face......Anyway at 8:19pm my precious baby boy was born. Daddy cut the cord and they plopped him right on my belly. I CANNOT EXPLAIN the addrenaline or the emotion i felt when i saw him just laying there on top of my belly. His arms and legs were just spread right out.....I was so emotional and I will never forget that moment meeting my son for the very first time .....It was amazing and one of those moments I will cherish for the rest of my life!

It was such a miracle and the happiest day of our lives. He was 8Lbs 4oz and 21 inches long.








Daddy's first diaper change

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'am so happy for you both and for that little bundle of joy to be born into such an amazing family!

You make everything sound so wonderful hun but I still think that I will be so terrified when I have to go lol... anyways luv ya and hope everything is great!

Kara